I'm also the mother of two children. Real Boy, who's seven and his sister, Real Girl who is four. I am most likely the farthest thing from your typical wife and mother. I drink, I smoke (Update: I quit smoking. I really miss it!), and I curse like a sailor.
I started this blog out of the sheer need to escape the madness that is motherhood, full-time employment, a husband and two dogs. In other words, life. It's kind of like therapy, only cheaper. In my past life (before kids) I spent time running the streets with my friends thinking we could change the world. I was enlisted in the Navy for ten years (this is probably why I curse like a sailor) where I worked as a journalist. I loved my job while enlisted. I miss it everyday.
Once I had my daughter, I realized my need to be home for the kids. Mainly, I did it for the Real Husband who I'm pretty sure would have lost his mind if I had to deploy for six to nine months. He's what I kindly call challenged in the nurturing department. Others may call him an asshole, but he's my asshole. Wait, that sounds weird. The point is, I love him.
After the Navy, I became employed full time by the Department of Defense. It's not my dream job, but it's a job and I get to come home everyday to the kids. Although, that six months of deployment sounds delightful when the kids are driving me out of my gourd.
So here I sit, writing this blog in an effort to have some me time. I'm including five random facts about myself that are in no way needed, but hey, it's fun.
- My pinkie toes are like little nubs. Seriously, those things are disturbing. I think I'm missing a joint in there because they don't really move. Maybe I should ask my mom if she smoked when pregnant with me causing my toes to not fully develop. After all, it was the '70s.
- I love to sing karaoke. I'm not the best singer, but I can carry a tune. I also secretly pretend I'm auditioning for American Idol when I'm driving in my car. I'm waiting for the day someone catches me doing this. Embarrassing.
- When I was 17, I went to Haiti on a mission trip with my church. It changed me significantly. I hope to adopt a child from Haiti when my kids are older. I also believe this is when my intolerance for lazy yet entitled Americans kicked in.
- I think pizza is the best food ever. I could eat it everyday and never tire of the cheesy goodness that is pizza. I even like those crappy frozen pizzas. It's a little sad actually.
- I'm 'biracial', or as I say, I'm half black, half white. My mom is the whitey. As a young kid, I didn't realize our family was any different. It wasn't until I was called "blackie" and "nigger" that I realized something was different. But, as my mom told me, "You're just as much as white as they are." Not true, but helpful to a kid who was a little confused.
So that's me in a nutshell. Now, let's get to know each other a little better shall we?
Got a question? Send it to me below.